Bank van Banck
In 1859, Schiermonnikoog was owned by Mr John E. Banck. He personally funded the building of a grassy sea wall and the creation of the Banckspolder, to protect the village from the sea.
At Mr Banck’s favourite viewing point on the sea wall, a stone bench was built, looking out over the beautiful views of the Wadden sea. This bench is still known by islanders as “Bank van Banck”, which translated means Banck’s Bench.